Being a Personal Representative – Where can I get more help?

Being a Personal Representative – Where can I get more help?


For print copies of Acts or Regulations, contact the Queen’s Printer Bookstore:

Edmonton: 780.427.4952

Toll-free in Alberta: dial 310-0000 followed by 780.427.4952


Free electronic copies of Acts and Regulations can be found by searching the alphabetical list at:

  • Wills and Succession Act
  • Estate Administration Act
  • Adult Guardianship and Trustee Act (AGTA)
  • Trustee Act
  • Unclaimed Personal Property and Vested Property Act
  • Adult Guardianship and Trusteeship Regulation
  • Surrogate Rules

Provincial Government & Court Resources

Alberta Vital Statistics

Death Information:

Edmonton: 780.427.7013

Telephone toll free within Alberta: 310-0000 then dial 780.427.7013

Alberta Courts

Frequently Asked Questions about probate and Surrogate Rules:

Alberta Justice


Saying Farewell: A Guide to Assist you with the Death and Dying Process

Available online:

Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Phone: 1.877.644.9992

Office of the Public Guardian & Trustee

Phone: 1.877.427.4525


Federal Government & Court Resources

Canada Pension Plan – Survivor’s Pension

Phone: 1.800.277.9914


Canada Revenue Agency

Phone: 1.800.959.8281

What to do when someone has died

Legal Services

Law Society of Alberta Lawyer Referral Service

The Lawyer Referral Service will provide you with the names of three lawyers in your area that you can consult. Each lawyer will provide a free half-hour consultation.

Toll free in Alberta: 1.800.661.1095

Calgary: 403.228.1722


Legal Aid Alberta

Legal Aid Alberta can help with select adult guardianship and trusteeship matters, as well as certain income support and government benefit cases. Call to determine eligibility.

Toll-free in Alberta: 1.866.845.3425



Resolution and Court Administration Services

Located throughout Alberta, these Centres can provide general information about family law, bankruptcy, residential tenancy, civil matters including wills and estates, court procedures, and court forms.

Toll free in Alberta: 1-855-738-4747

To find a location

Calgary Legal Guidance

Elder Law Program helps older adults who have questions about wills, estates, adult guardianship and trusteeship, powers of attorney, and elder abuse. Call to determine eligibility.

Phone: 403.234.9266


Central Alberta Community Legal Clinic (Red Deer)

Offers legal advice on wills to low income individuals. Strict financial guides apply; call to determine eligibility.

Phone: 403.314.9129

Toll-free: 1.877.314.9129


Edmonton Community Legal Centre

Can provide referrals to lawyers or firms who can assist in drafting wills for a reduced cost based on income. Call to determine eligibility.

Phone: 780.702.1725


Grande Prairie Legal Guidance

Offers legal advice on wills to low income individuals. Call to determine eligibility.

Phone: 780.882.0036



Pre-recorded legal information available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Calgary: 403.234.9022

Toll-free: 1.800.332.1091


Resources for Seniors

Older Adult Knowledge Network

A website of the Centre for Public Legal Education Alberta


Kerby Centre

Phone: 403.265.0661


Golden Circle Senior Resource Centre

Phone: 403.343.6074


Seniors Association of Greater Edmonton (SAGE)

Phone: 780.423.5510


Ministry of Seniors – Government of Alberta

Programs and Services for Seniors


Being a Personal Representative

This booklet is one of many publications produced by the Centre for Public Legal Education Alberta. All publications can be viewed and downloaded for free by visiting

Other publications related to this topic that may interest you include:

Home:  Being a Personal Representative

You should NOT rely on this webpage for legal advice. It provides general information on Alberta law only. November 2015.

For COVID-19 information 
see the:
COVID-19 Alberta Law FAQ

Font Resize