Being an Agent – Where Can I Get More Help?

Where can I get more help?

Community Resources


For print copies of Acts or Regulations contact the Queen’s Printer Bookstore:

  • 780-427-4952 in Edmonton
  • 403-297-6251 in Calgary
  • Toll-free service in Alberta, dial 310-0000 followed by the 10-digit phone number of the office you wish to contact
  • Website:

Electronic copies of Acts can be found by searching the alphabetical list at:

Electronic copies of Regulations can be found by searching the alphabetical list at:

The Adult Guardianship and Trustee Act (AGTA)

The Office of the Public Guardian is responsible for administering the Personal Directives Act.

  • The Office of the Public Guardian has offices across the province. To be connected to any of the offices toll-free, call 310-0000. See also a list of offices at
  • For more information about the Personal Directive template, the Personal Directive Registry, Declarations of Incapacity, Declarations of Regained Capacity, and the Office of the Public Guardian’s dispute resolution process, see

Alberta Health

Reporting abuse of persons in care: 1-888-357-9339

Alberta Human Services

Personal Directives – How it Works

Alberta Seniors Information Line

  • Toll-free in Alberta: 1-800-644-9992
  • In Edmonton: 780-644-9992
  • For regional offices see

Older Adult Knowledge Network

Family Law Information Centre

Legal Aid Alberta (Legal Services Centre)

Provides legal information and referrals to Albertans and legal advice to eligible callers. This free service is available across Alberta.

Toll-free in Alberta: 1.866.845.3425

To see the qualifications for free legal advice, visit

The Legal Services Centre does not provide legal information or legal advice by e-mail.

Law Society of Alberta Lawyer Referral Service

A Lawyer Referral Operator will provide you with the names of three lawyers in your area that you can consult.

Each lawyer will provide a half-hour consultation free of charge.

Student Legal Assistance

An association of law students which provides year-round free legal assistance and representation to members of the public who are unable to afford legal services.

  • 3390 Murray Fraser Hall
    University of Calgary
    Calgary, AB T2N 1N4
    Phone: 403-220-6637

Student Legal Services

A nonprofit, charitable organization of approximately 300 volunteer law students that provide year-round free legal services to those individuals who are unable to afford a lawyer. Please call in advance as student volunteers are not always available at all hours.

Seniors Association of Greater Edmonton (SAGE)

  • 100 – 102A Avenue NW
    15 Sir Winston Churchill Square
    Edmonton AB, T5J 2E5
    Phone: 780-423-5510
    Fax: 780-426-5175
    Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 am-4:15 pm
    E-mail: [email protected]

Kerby Centre

Community Groups

In many communities, seniors groups can provide information about legal issues. Ask your local seniors centre, community information centre, public library, or Royal Canadian Legion.

You should NOT rely on this webpage for legal advice. It provides general information on Alberta law only. June 2013.
Font Resize