Your rights when renting: Human rights in Alberta
Welcome to “Your rights when renting: Human rights in Alberta,” a series of resources funded by the Human Rights Education and Multicultural Fund.
Your feedback is important to us. Please take a few minutes to complete a survey about these resources.
Welcome to Alberta: an Introduction to the Alberta Human Rights Act
- New! Introduction to Human Rights
- Are you a renter? An introduction to the Alberta Human Rights Act
- Dealing with discrimination: Tips for renters
- What is Discrimination (Somali Version, Arabic Version)
- Age Discrimination (Somali Version, Arabic Version)
- New! Tenant Dispute Resolution Options
Looking for a Place to Live
- When rental advertisements discriminate: What you need to know (Somali Version, Arabic Version)
- Questions Not Allowed (Somali Version, Arabic Version)
- Affordable Housing (Somali Version, Arabic Version)
- Nine questions you should not be asked when looking for a place to live
- New! Housing for Seniors: Condominiums
Living in Alberta: Your Rights While Renting
- What does discrimination when renting look like?
- Is your tenancy ending? Tips for renters in Alberta
- Living in a Rental Property (Somali Version, Arabic Version)
- Nursing Homes (Somali Version, Arabic Version)
- New! Duty to Accommodate Seniors in Housing
- New! What does Accommodation in Housing Look Like?
- New! Basic Rights and Responsibilities of Tenants
- New! Human Rights Dispute Resolution Options
- New! Elder Abuse and Neglect
Filing a Human Rights Complaint: What you Need to Know
- Did you know? What to know before filing a human rights complaint
- How to file a human rights complaint in Alberta
- Filing a human rights complaint: Questions and Answers
Do you still have questions?
Websites about renting and the law:
- Laws for Landlords and Tenants in Alberta
- LawCentral Alberta – Housing Property
- Canadian Legal FAQs: Alberta FAQs – Real Estate and Renting
Handouts about renting and the law:
- 8 Rules for Smart Landlords in Alberta
- 8 Rules for Smart Renters in Alberta
- Eviction Notices under Alberta’s Residential Tenancies Act
- If You Have A Problem While Renting
- If Your Employment Ends: Laws for Tenants in Alberta
- Living With Your Landlord Agreement (Sample Form)
- Renting 101: A Guide to Renting in Alberta
- Safety and Security for Landlords
- Safety and Security for Tenants
- Shared Accommodation: Laws for Tenants in Alberta
Resources about housing for newcomers to Canada:
- Laws for landlords and tenants in Alberta (CPLEA)
- Housing for Newcomers (Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation)
- Renting a home in Canada (Government of Canada)
- Video: Welcome to Canada: Finding a home (Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation)
More Human Rights Commissions in Canada:
All of the materials on this page were funded by the Alberta Human Rights Education and Multiculturalism Fund (HREMF). This project was a result of a research project funded by HREMF. The research report is available here.
You should not rely on these resources for legal advice. They provide general information on Alberta law only.
Published May 2016. Copyright Legal Resource Centre of Alberta Ltd.